Need some time away from the screen? Take a break and get creative, get outside, and most importantly have FUN with these screen free learning activities!
At Home STEM Experiments:
- Craft a Rube Goldberg machine out of materials around the house! Check out this chain reaction machine for inspiration.
- Learn how ice cream works and make your own yummy treat! This experiment takes as little as 5 minutes and is a great way to learn about temperature and freezing points.
- Make your own Oobleck! Non-Newtonian fluids are fun to learn about and even more fun to play with!
- Explore more at home STEM projects.
- Explore your backyard and create your own nature journal. Illustrate the plants and animals in your neighborhood and write down any interesting things you notice.
- Create a map of your neighborhood. You can include your neighbors, the store, the park, and any of your favorite spots!
- Grab the chalk and head outside. Draw a picture, write some poetry, or play some games. There are endless opportunities for creativity!
- Explore more engaging outdoor activities.
- Categories is a great game to get anyone thinking about vocabulary and letters! First, draw a grid on a piece of paper. Next, write a couple of different categories down one side of the grid (ex: colors, animals, items in the kitchen). Finally, write the alphabet letters across the top. The goal is to think of a word for each letter and category.
- The One Letter Change Up is a fun way to practice spelling and vocabulary! Pick a short four or five letter word and encourage kids to come up with as many words as possible by changing only one letter at a time. Example: Man – Map – Mop – Top – Tot – Hot – Not
- Explore more fun word games.
Other Fun Activities:
- Learn a new recipe together! Or make it a competition and see who can come up with the most creative (and delicious) dish.
- Get on the other side of the screen and record your own movie! Write a script, find a costume, gather your props, and let your inner movie star shine! Make it even more fun by having a premier party for the whole family!
- Create your own scavenger hunt! Come up with a list of items around the house and see who can find the most.
More books for at home fun:
Albert Einstein and Relativity for Kids
The Everything Kids' Magical Science Experiments Book
The Ultimate Indoor Games Book
Janice VanCleave's Engineering for Every Kid