Are you planning a vacation to Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando? Well, here are some tips and tricks to have a magical time!
Before your visit:
- Plan out your theme park trips ahead of time. As of this writing (April 2022), park reservations are required in addition to a ticket purchase. Knowing which parks you want to visit on what days is important, so be sure to confirm your travel arrangements before purchasing tickets.
- Pack comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, and hot weather attire and accessories. Walt Disney World Resort allows backpacks with outside food and drinks, so pack a picnic if you’d like. Many quick service food stands will also provide ice water for free. You just have to ask!
- Familiarize yourself with all available modes of transportation. The different Disney modes of transport are the monorail system, the ferry, Disney shuttles and more.
- Get to the park early! Once you’ve decided which parks on what days, plan to arrive at the gates at least 20-30 minutes before opening. Once inside, start at the back of the park then work your way forward, using the app.
- Download the My Disney Experience app, opens a new window on your mobile device before you go. This is the official Disney app. It shows, in real time, how long (or short) the wait times are for all rides in all parks. It includes valuable, up to the minute information, mobile ordering/reservations and interactive components.
When inside the parks:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Everyone is happier when they are well-hydrated, so be sure to drink up!
- Take pictures while you are standing in line. Disney is so picturesque you can find a great photo backdrop even while you’re waiting in line.
- Be on the lookout for secret Mickeys throughout all parks. Disney has placed thousands of secret Mickeys for guests to find on their journey. They are hidden in murals, on fences and even underfoot.
- Don’t overdo it. When even one person in your group is tired, take a break. Sit down and rest in the shade. Have a snack. Everyone will be happier for it.
- The nightly fireworks spectacular in the Magic Kingdom starts at 9:30pm, so make your way to a good spot well before that time. Insider tip: the beach at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort is a great spot to view the show!
Disney-adjacent free (or nearly free) fun:
- Disney Springs is an outdoor shopping, dining and entertainment complex near Disney World. Admission is free and you can find many fun Disney foods and merchandise in this area.
- You can visit all of the Disney Resort hotels for free. They each have their own theme and décor so they are worth checking out. Many of these hotels have their own special events and photo opportunities with Disney characters!
Check out these Disney resources:
For Mickey-approved information and up to date news visit: