Today, we are going to talk about how to navigate the picture book section.
First, you need to know that our picture book collection is divided into “Neighborhoods” and each neighborhood has subcategories.
- Favorite Authors and Characters
- Concept (ABC / Color / Number / Opposites / Seasons)
- Daily Life (Family / Feelings / Friends / Religion / School)
- Exploration (Go / History / Outdoor / Place)
- Animal (Dinosaur / Farm / Mythical / Pet)
- Imagination and Play (Art / Music / Performing Arts / Sports)
- Story (Adventure / Bedtime / Funny / Rhymes / Tales)
There are signs on the top and side of the bookcases that tell you the neighborhood and subcategory.
Second, the call number and spine label are SUPER important. It’s basically the book's home address. Let's use the picture book “Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter” for an example.
Frisco Public Library Address
8000 Dallas Pkwy – Exact Location
Frisco, TX 75034 – City, State, Zip code
USA – Country
“Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter” Spine Label / Call Number
PICTURE – Section in the Library
CONCEPT – Neighborhood
SEASON – Subcategory
PAK – Author Last’s Name – Alphabetical
The third important piece of information to know is how the call number looks in the library catalog.
Click on “View location availability” to get more details.
Remember to have fun browsing with your kids! Make it a book challenge by picking out a book from a different neighborhood each time you come into the library.
Here are some book lists to help you get started: